[PAGID] MGUS and primary immunodeficiency

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Fri Oct 10 09:52:43 EDT 2008

I don't know about this particular constellation but we have had remarkably good systemic effects after treating kids who have B-cell or plasmacytoid infiltrates in the GI tract with Rituxin.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Chris Seroogy
Sent: Fri 10/10/2008 7:46 AM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: [PAGID] MGUS and primary immunodeficiency

Dear Colleagues,

I was asked to see a teenage boy with recurrent GI lymphocytic infiltrate
for immunodeficiency evaluation. He presented in 1999 with Burkitts
lymphoma primarily involving GI tract. He was treated appropriately. In
2006 he presented with small bowel obstruction and biopsy of gut at that
time suggestive of Castleman's disease. Outside consultation felt this was
less likely. Staining on this tissue was EBER-, HHV8-, there was a plasma
cell infiltrate with lambda chain predominance. He was treated with
doxorubicin. He has been asymptomatic until recently with recurrence of
abdominal pain. Biopsy of gut this time demonstrates plasma cell infiltrate
with skewing to kappa chain. He has a IgA monoclonal spike by
immunofixation.

His other notable history is longstanding T cell lymphopenia (absolute CD4
306, CD8 258; CD19 diminished at 48, one episode of disseminated VZV
(predated all chemo), recurrent sinus infections.

Labs studies: ADA/PNP normal, SAP expression normal with detectable NKT
cells, chromosome breakage analysis normal, FISH for 22q11 deletion
negative, normal T cell proliferation by CFSE to anti CD3/CD28 and IL2. HIV
is negative.

IgG 722, IgM 23, IgA 1200. B cell function appears intact.

We are a bit stymied by how to manage this young man, his abdominal pain has
now subsided and he is otherwise clinically well. I am also wondering if I
am missing an underlying immune defect. I plan to check NK cell function
and welcome any other suggestions. Thank you! Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.

University of Wisconsin

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Pediatrics

Mail: H4/474 CSC, Mailstop 4108

Shipping: H4/431 CSC, Mailstop 4108

600 Highland Ave.

Madison, WI 53792

phone: 608- 263-2652

fax: 608-265-0164

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if

any) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended

solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is

unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,

copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in

reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received

this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this

message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard

copies you may have created and notify me immediately by replying to

this email. Thank you.

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.