[PAGID] IVIG for ParvoB19?

raas0027 at umn.edu raas0027 at umn.edu
Mon Mar 9 14:18:59 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have a 13 year old male with 6p+4q- translocation and a host of
associated clinical issues.

>From an immune stadpoint, he has T-cell lymphopenia with a baseline CD3 of

under 400/uL. Clinically he has done well from an infection standpoint for
many years. He has normal mitogens as well as normal quantitative and
qualitative antibody response. Lots of other studes performed but to be
brief, were normal.

After 30+ days of nightly fever and modest splenomegaly, a id/heme workup
revealed only a positive PCR for parvovirus b19 in the peripheral blood.

The question of IVIG as treatment for Parvovirus B19 in a lymphopenic
patient was raised. I have never used IVIG in a case like this. Literature
data is spartan.

Any expererience out there?

Thank you!

Regards,