[PAGID] Maximum rate for IVIG

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Fri May 8 21:27:23 EDT 2009

Most products are labelled to start at 0.01 ml/kg/min (= 0.5 mg/kg/min for 5% and 1 mg/kg/min for 10%). If tolerated, the rates can be increased, usually in a stepwise manner, to maximum rates of 0.08 ml/kg/min for most 10% products (= 8 mg/kg/min) and 10 ml/kg/min for 5% Flebogamma DIF (=5 mg/kg/min). Note that 8 mg/kg/min (4.8 ml/kg/hr) is 480 mg/kg/hr if it is 10%. Thus, most PID patients who are on brands they tolerate can complete their typical infusion in about 1 to 1.5 hours once they reach the maximum rate, if they tolerate that.

These rates are derived from the licensing trials, which are designed to meet the FDA criterion of <40% of infusions accompanied by AEs occuring during or up to 24-48 hrs after completion of the (infusion (may differ in different studies). Rate-related AEs are usually in the family of chills, fever, back pain, other myalgias, headache, nausea + GI Sx, etc. Renal complications are rare now that there are no longer sucrose-containing products marketed in the US. I do not think it is clear that renal AEs were rate-related.

Mel Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Chris Seroogy
Sent: Wed 5/6/2009 5:23 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: [PAGID] Maximum rate for IVIG

Dear Colleagues,

A question was recently posed to me by our pharmacy staff regarding maximum infusion rate for IVIG. They noted some practioners maxed at 110 cc/hr of 10% solution and felt faster infusion rates may lead to renal toxicity regardless of the product formulation. This is not something that I typically monitor and was wondering if anyone has sound data on the safety for maximum infusion rates of IVIG? Thank you for any insights, Chris

--
Christine M. Seroogy MD, FAAP, FAAAAI
Assistant Professor

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.