[PAGID] Maximum rate for IVIG

Kirkpatrick, Charles Charles.Kirkpatrick at ucdenver.edu
Fri May 8 15:01:22 EDT 2009

It is my understanding that the renal injury was most likely due to the sugar content of the IgG. I have seen renal injury in only one patient; she was given a sugar containing IgG without permission because the pharmacy was out of Gamunex.. Personally, I never use sugar containing IgG either IV or SQ.

With respect to infusion rates, most of my patients are adults... We start with 15 cc of 10% IgG (usually Gamunex) for 15 minutes. If everything is stable we increase to 30 cc/hour for 15 minutes. If everything is OK (vital signs, clinical symptoms, etc.),. we increase to 60 cc/hr. We follow the same schedule of dose increments until we get to 240 cc/hr. If the patient has a history of migraine, I stop at 240 cc per hour. Migraine patients are more likely to have post-infusion aseptic meningitis and headaches. Other wise we give up to 360 cc /hour.

We do not pre-mediate all patients; just those with symptoms.

Chuck Kirkpatrick, M.D. .