[PAGID] sterile granuloma in NBS1?

Anita Gewurz agewurz at rush.edu
Mon Jun 1 10:00:41 EDT 2009

Dear Javier,

We have 3YOM and 5YOF sibs with NBS. These publications from the
Children's Memorial Health Institute in Warsaw have contact
information that may be helpful:

Abnormalities in the T and NK lymphocyte phenotype in patients with
Nijmegen breakage syndrome.
Michałkiewicz J, Barth C, Chrzanowska K, Gregorek H, Syczewska M,
Weemaes CM, Madaliński K, Stachowski J; D. DZIERZANOWSKA.
Clin Exp Immunol. 2003 Dec;134(3):482-90.

Heterogeneity of humoral immune abnormalities in children with
Nijmegen breakage syndrome: an 8-year follow-up study in a single
centre.
Gregorek H, Chrzanowska KH, Michałkiewicz J, Syczewska M, Madaliński
K.
Clin Exp Immunol. 2002 Nov;130(2):319-24.

Neither of our patients has granulomas, but we appreciate being
alerted to this potential complication. They have the elevated (and
progressively increasing) NK counts described above. The older sib
is being treated for a first systemic infection (UTI), but both have
really good humoral immunity panels.

The following paper describes a 7YOF with NBS and a 5-yr history of
sarcoid-like noncaseating granulomas of the cheeks for which no
explanation was found:

Cutaneous noncaseating granulomas associated with Nijmegen breakage
syndrome.
Yoo J, Wolgamot G, Torgerson TR, Sidbury R.
Arch Dermatol. 2008 Mar;144(3):418-9. No abstract available.

We look forward to learning from you and our colleagues about
management of NBS as it evolves.

Sincerely,

Anita Gewurz MD
Section of Allergy/Immunology