[PAGID] patient who lacks long-term memory antibody responses

Paris, Kenneth kparis at lsuhsc.edu
Fri Jul 17 10:42:08 EDT 2009

This clinical picture and immunologic profile is similar to what we have seen in a cohort of patients we have evaluated in our clinics over the past several years. We are using gammaglobulin replacement in cases where antibiotic use does not result in significant periods of wellness, or if the QOL is poor. The serial measurements of specific antibody levels, and the documentation of loss of protective titers correlates well with the patient's infection history. We have documented this in our patients, and use this information for justification of IVIG. The response to gammaglobulin has been overwhelmingly positive in nearly all of these patients.

I agree with Javier, enumeration of lymphocytes and especially memory B cells will be interesting (they will be very low, I bet). The search for a known cause of the abnormality probably won't be fruitful at this time (such as HIGES unless there are other aspects of the case that would lead you to that). Our experience is that the memory B cell numbers are markedly reduced in this subset patients. Ricardo Sorensen may want to comment further. He and Lily Leiva have had at least one abstract at FOCIS in the last few years on this topic, and this is an area of interest in our lab.

Ken

Kenneth Paris MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Allergy and Immunology
LSU Health Sciences Center
Children's Hospital of New Orleans

Mail:
200 Henry Clay Avenue
Children's Hospital
Research Institute for Children 4th Floor
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 504-896-9589
Fax: 504-896-9311
Email: kparis at lsuhsc.edu <mailto:kparis at lsuhsc.edu>

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) indicated above. Use or disclosure of information e-mailed in error is respectfully prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete the original message or you may call 504-896-9589. Thank you.