[PAGID] patient who lacks long-term memory antibody responses

raas0027 at umn.edu raas0027 at umn.edu
Fri Jul 17 10:49:44 EDT 2009

I have a 4 year old patient with similar prophile. Hx tetrology of fallot
at birth with several corrective surgeries over the first 2 years. A thymus
was present and removed with the first thoracotomy. Chromosomal studies and
clinical picture make DiGeorge syndrome unlikely.

She has had chronic purulent bronchitis. Despite inhaled corticosteroids,
mucolytics, vest therapy and rotational antibiotics, frequent therapeutic
bronchoscopies were the only thing providing improvement. Bronchoscopy has
revealed mostly encapsulated organisms.

Immunologic evaluation unremarkable except for mild T-cell lymphopenia
(often seen in thymectomized infants?).

Excellent initial response to Pneumovax, however titers dropped to <1.0
within 9 months.

She was started on Vivaglobin and in two months has had dramatic
improvement. Off vest, mucolytics, inhaled steroids and antibiotics.
Parents and pulmonologists are thrilled. We'll see how she does this
winter.

Good discussion topic.

-Jason

--