[PAGID] patient who lacks long-term memory antibody responses

Soheil Chegini schegini at hmc.psu.edu
Fri Jul 17 11:12:41 EDT 2009

Jason,

In some patients after repair of congenital cardiac anomalies elevated
right atrial pressure and secondary intestinal lymphangiectasia
develops. They typically have protein losing enteropathy and suppressed
immunoglobuli levels and T-cells, primarily CD4. The giveaways are
often diarrhea and global hypoproteinemia, but some patients can
compensate fairly well and have normal albumin and no overt GI symptoms.
Elevated fecal alpha-1 antitrypsin will establish the diagnosis.

Best,
Soheil

Soheil Chegini, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine & Pediatrics
Penn State Hershey Medical Center
500 University Dr. H041
Hershey, PA 17033
Tel. 717-531-6525
Fax 717-531-5785

>>> <raas0027 at umn.edu> 7/17/2009 10:49 AM >>>

I have a 4 year old patient with similar prophile. Hx tetrology of
fallot
at birth with several corrective surgeries over the first 2 years. A
thymus
was present and removed with the first thoracotomy. Chromosomal studies
and
clinical picture make DiGeorge syndrome unlikely.

She has had chronic purulent bronchitis. Despite inhaled
corticosteroids,
mucolytics, vest therapy and rotational antibiotics, frequent
therapeutic
bronchoscopies were the only thing providing improvement. Bronchoscopy
has
revealed mostly encapsulated organisms.

Immunologic evaluation unremarkable except for mild T-cell lymphopenia

(often seen in thymectomized infants?).

Excellent initial response to Pneumovax, however titers dropped to <1.0

within 9 months.

She was started on Vivaglobin and in two months has had dramatic
improvement. Off vest, mucolytics, inhaled steroids and antibiotics.
Parents and pulmonologists are thrilled. We'll see how she does this
winter.

Good discussion topic.

-Jason

On Jul 17 2009, Howard M Lederman wrote:

> I have a fascinating 12 yr old male patient with a history of

recurrent

> infections (mostly upper and lower respiratory tract). No individual

> infection has been overwhelmingly severe, but the sum of all

infections

> leads to a significant number of school absences.He has low IgG and

IgM

> levels with normal IgA levels. He makes normal IgG antibody responses

> a wide variety of vaccines, but does not seem to be able to maintain

> long-term immunity. (See attached spreadsheet. Sheet 1 tabulates the

> antibody and immunglobulin levels; sheet 2 lists the

immunizations.)Is

> this a pattern that others have seen? I am open to any ideas for

further

> evaluation. Would anyone offer this child gamma globulin? Howard

Howard

> M. Lederman, M.D., Ph.D. Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine and

Pathology

> Division of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Johns Hopkins Hospital -

> CMSC 1102

>600 N. Wolfe Street

>Baltimore, MD 21287-3923

>Phone: 410-955-5883

>Fax: 410-955-0229

>Email: Hlederm1 at jhem.jhmi.edu

>WARNING: E-mail sent over the Internet is not secure.

>Information sent by e-mail may not remain confidential.

> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is intended only for the individual to whom

it is

> addressed. It may be used only in accordance with applicable laws. If

you

> received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender and destroy

the

--

Jason P. Raasch, MD

Midwest Immunology Clinic