[PAGID] Autoinmmune enteropathy?

Kate Sullivan sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 10 05:40:58 EDT 2009

This sounds like IPEX-like disease. IPEX is due to mutations in
FOXP3, which is X-linked, but about half the kids with the phenotype
have no mutation and are said to have an IPEX-like process. Steroids
generally are not helpful, but certainly worth a try. I usually start
with rapamycin and then if there is no effect after a month, move up
to FK506. This is a transplantable disease although success was poor
until recently. There is no specific diagnostic test for the IPEX-
like patients. If a biopsy shows lots of villous atrophy in the
absence of gluten exposure and the there are lots of infiltrating T
cells in the lamina propria- barring other immune deficiency, I
usually call it a presumptive diagnosis and start rapamycin. I try to
wean them off down the road and if I can't then I call it IPEX-like
disease. The effect of rapamycin is variable, but generally takes a
couple of weeks to a month.

Kate

On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:00 AM, Sabiha Anis wrote:

> What are the results of stool D/R. Have you ruled out worm

> infestations?

> Regards

> Sabiha anis

> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:00:55 +0200

> From: nachgonzalez at gmail.com

> To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org

> Subject: [PAGID] Autoinmmune enteropathy?

> 7 year old female (RM) with severe chronic diarrea with neonatal

> onset. Cuacasian. She has persistent malabsortion. She required

> parenteral nutrition when she was eighteen month old (for severe

> malnutrition). Intestinal biopsy (2002): moderate partial vellous

> atrophy.

> Her sister (AM) suffers from refractory celiac disease (CD) with

> persistent antigliadin and antitransglutaminase positive despite

> strictly gluten free diet.

> The patient (RM) presents negative celiac serology. HLA is not

> compatible with celiac disease. Intraepitelial lymphocytes are not

> compatible with CD (in 2002 and now). Antienterocyte antibodies are

> also negative (in 2002 and now). CD25+ and FOXP3+ are in normal

> range (this month). She has persistent IgE elevation (around 1000 IU/

> mL). Anti TPO levels were slightly elevated once (Dec´08) but now

> are in normal range. Anti PCA (parietal cell antibodies are slightly

> positive: 1/80 ) ANA + 1/40 (normal) . We have ruled out food

> allergies. IgG,A,M normal. Lymphocyte subpopulations: normal.

> She is now admitted for severe diarrhea and malnutrition.

> We are not sure about starting steroid therapy. We'd really

> appreciate helpful suggestions about diagnosis and treatment.

> Share your memories online with anyone you want anyone you want.

Kathleen Sullivan MD PhD
Professor of Pediatrics
Chief, Division of Allergy Immunology
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia