[PAGID] 70 year old nurse with low serum immunoglobulins, arthralgia, diminished specific antibody titer 1 year post immunization anddecreased switched memory B cells

michael clayton mhclayton at msn.com
Mon Aug 2 16:24:32 EDT 2010

Thank you all for your suggestions. She does not have a firm rheumatologic diagnosis. The rheumatologist saw the low immunoglobulin levels and hoped that I could come up with an explanation. I did not think the hypogammaglobulinemia was impressive, and she seemed to respond well to the tetanus and pneumovax. I was a little surprised at the quick decline in tetanus titer, but need to repeat this and look at other protein antigen responses as well. Has anyone treated a patient for a specific antibody production deficit based on a rapid decline in either protein or carbohydrate antigen titers over time? She was managed by the rheumatologist with a prednisone taper during acute febrile episodes, with improvement-- I don't think he ever gave her a single dose early on like I do with my PFAPA patients. Her mouth ulcers have been very persistant, and by history do not clear between febrile spells. No other chronic, indolent processes that I know of yet, but perhaps I need to take a closer look. I thought of Good's Syndrome, but she hasn't shown the characteristic (I hear, as I have no experience with this) changes in B cells or inverted CD4/CD8 ratio. It would be simple to check for evidence of thymoma with a CXR and perhaps HRCT, though.

Michael H. Clayton, MD, MPH
Associate Professor Pediatrics
University of New Mexico
(505) 296-5426 office, (505) 296-1248 fax
mhclayton at msn.com, mclayton at salud.unm.edu