[PAGID] primary cilia dyskinesia

Mark Ballow markbal.aird at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:21:51 EDT 2010

Richard,

We published a study (Annal of Allergy 79:119, 1997) a number of years ago
of IVIG in patients with chronic inflammatory sinusitis. These patients
failed prophylactic antibiotics and had already had at least one surgical
procedure. patients had mild if any changes in Ig and 2 patients had "poor"
response to Pneumovax but we did not have the tools then to fully assess
pneumococcal responses. The rationale was to use the IVIG as
anti-inflammatory, not as replacement. We figured if we could save the child
an additional surgical procedure it was worth trying. We had good results in
5/6 patients. However, this was an open trial. Tried to get one of the IVIG
companies to fund a controlled trial but did not happen.Not sure whether
this approach would translate to patients with cilia dyskinesia.

Mark

Mark Ballow,MD
Allergy & Immunology Division
Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo