[CIS-PAGID] Neutrophil Migration Assay

Verbsky, James jverbsky at mcw.edu
Wed Dec 22 17:50:05 EST 2010

Jason

I personally found the neutrophil migration assay done by Ron harbeck to be the key test that we used to recommend bone marrow transplant in the Rac2 patient. As a matter of fact..our patient was seen at another institution with omphalitis and had extensive workup for LAD, CGD, etc..with no diagnosis. When the child was seen by us with another abscess, we new he had a potential unknown neutrophil problem. His migration was essentially 0, which in the face of abscesses in the first month of life led us to recommend BMT before we had the RAC2 sequencing done (on a side note, using the DHR assay with fMLP as a stimulus also showed a clear defect..also G protein linked..we have added this to our DHR assay for CGD testing in our clinical immunology lab).

Just remember to send control blood at the same time.

Best

James

James Verbsky MD/PhD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Medical College of Wisconsin
Milwaukee, WI 53226