[CIS-PAGID] question for CGD

Richard Wasserman drrichwasserman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 23:36:44 EST 2011

I strongly suggest granulocyte transfusions. You may need to give doses
every 12 hours. Be aware of the development of polycythemia. You should be
prepared to bleed the patient a ml for ml immediately prior to infusing the
granulocytes. You will certainly need to drain/excise the liver abscess. If
you do surgery now, the surgeon will find a phlegmon without clearly
identifiable margins. After several days of granulocytes, there is a good
chance that a capsule will begin to form that will guide the surgeon. With
luck the granulocytes and antibiotics will treat the pulmonary nodules. The
pulmonary infiltrate may require surgical intervention but I would try to
hold off. I would also carefully consider adding a second antibiotic. Good
luck.
Richard Wasserman
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Dallas

--
Richard L. Wasserman, MD, PhD
DallasAllergyImmunology