[CIS-PAGID] ALPS Patient Question

Fleisher, Thomas (NIH/CC/DLM) [E] TFleishe at cc.nih.gov
Tue Mar 8 12:39:22 EST 2011

Joe,
I just confirmed with our clinical people that our rather extensive experience with ALPS patients does not suggest that vaccination is typically involved with disease exacerbation. We have not seen a flare in ITP with influenza immunizations and do encourage our ALPS patients to receive this vaccine. There was a comment regarding one patient who had a flare that from a time line perspective may have been associated with pneumococcal vaccine but owing to the risk of serious pneumococcal disease in the setting of splenectomy (we have a fair number of referred ALPS patients who have have a history of a splenectomy) we also recommend this vaccine. Clearly, whether or not Tdap has a potential to be associated with a flare is not something that I think can be accurately predicted and obviously with growing concerns about pertussis one would really have to consider the risk of not vaccinating.
Tom

Thomas A. Fleisher, M.D.
Chief, Department of Laboratory Medicine
NIH Clinical Center
tel 301 496-5668
fax 301 402-1612
email tfleishe at mail.nih.gov<mailto:tfleishe at mail.nih.gov>

Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage devices. The NIH Clinical Center shall not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of the Clinical Center by one of its representatives.
P please consider the environment before printing this e-mail