[CIS-PAGID] Abnormal spleen scan

Ashish Kumar Ashish.Kumar at cchmc.org
Fri Apr 8 14:12:22 EDT 2011

Selective ignorance? The child is fine, maybe the test was wrong.

Ashish Kumar MD, PhD
Assistant Professor
BMT/Immune Deficiency
Cincinnati Children's Hospital

>>> "Church, Joseph" <JChurch at chla.usc.edu> 4/8/2011 1:50 PM >>>

Colleagues:

A 3+yo Caucasian girl was hospitalized locally for FUO. No focus of
infection was found although studies for acute respiratory virus
infection were not done.

As part of her evaluation, a gallium scan was performed. It was
reported to be normal except that the spleen showed no uptake on day #2
and limited uptake on day #3.

Howell-Jolly bodies were not seen on two smears.

She has recovered fully, but I am still left with a child with possible
hyposplenism. Currently, she is on penicillin prophylaxis.

I plan on looking for hemoglobinopathies and and autoimmune disorders.
Any other ideas?

Joe Church, MD
Children’s Hospital Los Agneles

confidential
or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this