[CIS-PAGID] Anti-TNF in pt with selective antibody deficiency

Hare, Nathaniel D NHare at Cheshire-Med.COM
Mon May 23 09:00:07 EDT 2011

Colleagues,

To follow up on Joe Church's question, I basically have the same
question about using IVIG in patients either on a TNF-inhibitor or in
whom one will possibly be started. In both patients, I am wondering if
I need to add IVIG. Like Joe, I am wondering if I am being too
cautious.

Patient 1

30 yo male with psoriatic arthritis

Treated with methotrexate

Rheumatology wants to add etanercept

Specific Antibody Deficiency (response to 5/23 pneumococcal serotypes
after Pneumovax vaccination, tested while on methotrexate)

Tested b/c of history of recurrent pneumonia that predated the
methotrexate therapy

Patient 2

47 yo female with symmetric polyarticular inflammation B27 positive CCP
positive, treated with methotrexate and etanercept

Selective IgA deficiency, IgG4 subclass deficiency (for what it's worth)
and specific antibody deficiency (response to 2/23 pneumococcal
serotypes after Pneumovax vaccination, tested while on methotrexate and
etanercept)

Tested b/c history of chronic sinusitis, CT documented.

Thanks,

Nathan Hare

Nathaniel D. Hare MD

Allergy & Immunology