[CIS-PAGID] Anti-TNF in pt with selective antibody deficiency

Terri Tarrant tarra002 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:11:27 EDT 2011

In patient 1, if IgA/IgM/IgG and HIB normal and the patient has had no
serious sinopulmonary infections since starting MTX, I question whether or
not there is a clinically significant specific antibody deficiency,
particularly since vaccination responses were measured on
immunosuppression. I'd immunize to Prevnar, check post vaccination titers,
and if adequate boost demonstrated, would add a biologic to the MTX without
adding IVIG and follow clinically.

In patient 2, a very few of my absolute IgA deficients (with and without
selective antibody deficiency) don't do well with immunosuppression if they
have autoimmunity requiring DMARDs (IBD and RA specifically). Sinus
infections tend to be a problem. That being said, I've not seen IVIG help
much with chronic sinusitis, so I tend to treat with antibiotics and
occasionally chronic suppressive/rotating antibiotic therapy. I also like
to vaccinate them with Prevnar prior to immunosuppression if pneumococcal
titers were not protective. I tend to pull the trigger for IVIG if they get
pneumonia.

Terri Tarrant, MD
Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology
University of North Carolina