[CIS-PAGID] Pulmonary granuloma & CVID: Treament

Routes, John jroutes at mcw.edu
Tue May 24 17:00:42 EDT 2011

Jason
We see/treat alot of these patients---few questions---1. how was the biopsy
obtained? In my experience, a transbronchial biopsy does not get
sufficient tissue to make a definitive diagnosis----we always get an open
lung biopsy to exclude lymphoma, BOOP or other causes of ILD in CVID
patients. 2) What was the histology of the infiltrate, including phenotype
of the inflammatory cells? 3) Is there diffuse adenopathy with splenomegaly?

If this is granulomatous/lymphocytic interstitial lung disease (GLILD)--I
have not had good luck with prednisone---rarely clears the lung disease and
when you have a reasonable response, you need to maintain the patient on too
high dose of prednisone and cannot taper leading to unacceptable side
effects---We have used rituximab and azathioprine in 10-12 patients and have
had great results, with complete or near complete clearing of the
infiltrates and improved PFTs---we had a poster at the recent CIS meeting
that summarized our experience so it should be in the Journal of Clinical
Immunology pretty soon---happy to discuss in more detail if it would be of
help
Jack

John M. Routes, MD
Chief, Section of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Department of Pediatrics
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin