[CIS-PAGID] Achilles tendonitis with fluoroquinolone in CGD

Richard Wasserman drrichwasserman at gmail.com
Fri May 27 09:38:04 EDT 2011

Tendonitis, particularly Achilles tendonitis is a well recognized side
effect of fluoroquinolones (see boxed warned in each of the package
inserts). We have seen this in several CVID patients and even presumed
normals (including me).
Richard Wasserman

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Newburger, Peter <
Peter.Newburger at umassmed.edu> wrote:

> A 14 y.o. boy with X-linked CGD has developed Achilles tendonitis after 1

> week of treatment with ciprofloxacin and doxycycline for cervical

> lymphadenitis. He had been maintained on his usual prophylactic

> itraconazole as well.

> Does anyone else have experience with this complication? I wonder if the

> toxicity, unusual at this age, was potentiated by the itraconazole. Or

> could CGD predispose to this form of inflammation?

> Thanks,

> Peter

> Peter E. Newburger, MD

> Ali and John Pierce Professor of

> Pediatric Hematology/Oncology

> Vice Chair for Research

> Department of Pediatrics

> University of Massachusetts Medical School

> 55 Lake Avenue North

> Worcester, MA 01655

> tel. 508 856-4225

> fax 508 856-4282