[CIS-PAGID] ADA deficiency hearing loss

Kobrynski, Lisa lkobryn at emory.edu
Fri May 27 11:27:47 EDT 2011

We have one patient with ADA deficiency who had evidence of sensorineural hearing loss on ABR (newborn testing) and also had optic nerve hypoplasia diagnosed by the opthalmologists. Now she is one year post-HSCT and her optic nerves appear normal, and her hearing is markedly improved. Possibly there was cellular damage due to the accumulation of the adenosine which has now resolved after immune reconstitution?

Since many ADA deficient patients show a decline in lymphocyte number and function over time on Adagen - how has this patient done in that regard?

We also have a patient with PNP deficiency, mild hearing loss and some spasticity of the lower limbs who is post transplant now, with some evidence of neurologic improvement. Similar mechanism?

Lisa

Lisa Kobrynski, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Section, Allergy/Immunology