[CIS-PAGID] ADA deficiency hearing loss

Nicholas Rider nrider at clinicforspecialchildren.org
Thu May 26 13:12:18 EDT 2011

Hi All,

This is a terrific question and important for patients with ADA
deficiency. As you eluded to, Dr. Wasserman, there is scant
literature about hearing loss in ADA deficiency; however it is
reported. Certainly, we do know that hearing impairment occurs beyond
what it published. We follow a 1 year old with ADA deficiency who is
awaiting entry into the gene therapy trial. We also have full service
hearing lab at our Clinic and plan to evaluate our patient's hearing
to address this question. I presume that the high adenosine levels
and metabolites affect the auditory nerves, but am not aware of a
specific pattern on ABR associated with ADA deficiency. Given the
fact that we only follow a single patient, would those who follow
larger numbers of these patients be interested in delving into this
further?

Best Wishes,

Nick

Nicholas L. Rider, D.O.