[CIS-PAGID] looking for transplant advice

Donald Cuong Vinh, Dr donald.vinh at mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 23 22:04:10 EDT 2011

In response to Dr. Bleesing's question: BCG and MAI are quite distinct. Yes, both belong to the genus Mycobacteria, but BCG is part of the M. tuberculosis complex (BCG being a variant of M. bovis). MAI is an older taxonomic group that encompasses the M. avium complex and M. intracellulare (and related organisms that have yet to be defined into a complex); these are phylogenetically related to each other but as a whole (microbiologically and disease-wise) are distinct from the M.tb complex -- hence, they fall under the "Non-tuberculous mycobacteria" (NTM) classification. BCG and MAI are also distinct in terms of environmental distributions and anti-mycobacterial therapy.

Donald C. Vinh, MD
Assistant Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases,
Division of Allergy & Clinical Immunology
Dept of Medicine; Dept of Medical Microbiology
McGill University Health Centre - Montreal General Hospital
1650 Cedar Ave, Rm A5-156
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4
Ph: 514-934-1934 x42419 (office); x42811 (admin assist)
Fax: 514-934-8423
e-mail: donald.vinh at mcgill.ca

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error or indirectly, please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage devices.