[CIS-PAGID] looking for transplant advice

Sergio Rosenzweig srosenzweig at garrahan.gov.ar
Fri Jun 24 11:45:52 EDT 2011

I'm not sure if Kate's patient was BCG vaccinated or not, but during the
last 2y we have been collecting data from BCG vaccinated SCID patients
form all around the world (25 centers from 15 countries, more than 200
patient so far) to learn about their outcome and the best therapeutic
approach for them. Bottom line, more than 50% of this patients develop
BCG complications, 1/3 localized, 2/3 disseminated. Preliminary analysis
shows that preemptive treatment helps, not so clear at this point which
scheme and for how long works better (my approach used to be 4 drugs
-including aminoglucoside for 1-2 mos-, parenteral route, treat until
immunerecontitution; however others have had good success with 2 oral
drugs). We are still accepting patients until the end of July, when
final analysis will start.
Thanks,
Sergio

Sergio D. Rosenzweig, MD, PhD
Chief, Infectious Diseases Susceptibility Unit
Laboratory of Host Defenses, NIAID, NIH
10 Center Dr., Bldg. 10, CRC 5W-3888
Bethesda, MD 20892-1456
Phone (301) 451 8971
Fax (301) 451 7901
Cell (240) 361 7617
Pager 102 10678
srosenzweig at niaid.nih.gov

Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is
confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be
used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have
received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete from
your mailbox or any other storage devices. National Institute of Allergy
and Infectious Diseases shall not accept liability for any statements
made that are senders own and not expressly made on behalf of the NIAID
by one of its representatives.

>>> "Notarangelo, Luigi" <Luigi.Notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu>

06/23/11 5:08 PM >>>
I agree with Antonio that this patient needs multi-drug treatment of BCG
and that this needs to be continued across transplant, including
engraftment (because this is the time when inflammatory complications
would otherwise develop). I would start treatment now but I would try to
perform the transplant within the next month or so. This is the only way
to save the patient. Who will be the donor? I would personally favor an
unmanipulated MUD (as long as full match)vs. a T-cell depleted haplo.

Gigi

Luigi D. Notarangelo
Division of Immunology
Children's Hospital boston