[CIS-PAGID] Common Variable Immunodeficiency patient with CNS lesion

Dr. Carsten Speckmann carsten.speckmann at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Mon Aug 8 03:58:34 EDT 2011

A patient published by Jan Rohr et al. in Haematologica had a similiar
history of "CVID" diagnosis in adulthood (32y) acompanied by atypical
cerebral vascultis. This patient developed fatal HLH at 34y (first
episode) and was eventually diagnosed with FHL3 (UNC13D). There also
have been reports on Perforin deficient patients with vasculitis-like
lesions in the brain. You said CSF was normal which might argue against
a FHL variant but this might depend on the timepoint of investigation.
Degranulation assays (CD107) of CTL and NK and perforin stains might be
something to consider in your patient. Kind regards, Carsten

--
Dr. med. Carsten Speckmann
Facharzt

phone: +49 (0)761-270 43010