[CIS-PAGID] Help with consult

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Thu Nov 3 19:37:04 EDT 2011

Dear Hey Chong

I think that Kate's thinking of a SCID with multiple intestinal
atresias is attractive.
In reality I've never seen such patients.

On the other hand we follow up a few patients with hereditary
lymphedema with intestinal lymphangiectasia.
Some of them present low IgG and very low CD4+ T cell counts,
presenting relapsing "quasi" opportunistic infections (disseminated
mycobacteriosis and candidiasis) needing continuous therapy for the
infections.

One of these patients presented recently an invasive cervical cancer
with very quick evolution. e useful Could this accelerated evolution
of the neoplastic disease be related to the cellular immunodeficiency
associated to the protein-losing enteropathy?

Could IgG replacement be useful in a patient losing large amounts of
IgG by the bowels?

In the setting of a multiple organ transplantation, probably adding a
liver or bone marrow transplantation might facilitate the management
of the immunosuppression and GvHD in the long term follow-up of your
patient.

Best regards,

Dewton Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo School of Medicine