[CIS-PAGID] Hypogam following Fontan

Burcin Uygungil buygung at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:31:51 EST 2011

Hi Joe,

I am a mere fellow but I just wrote a review on primary intestinal
lymphangiectasia and I think that the same issues apply to this is case of
secondary protein losing enteropathy. In addition to IgG replacement (subq
might be better) - you could also try a dietary approach with a high MCT
(medium chain triglyceride) diet. This usually involves a formula so you
might need to speak with a dietician to make it more palatable for a 7 year
old. I have seen that it really works in a handful of patients.

Burcin Uygungil
Johns Hopkins Hospital

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Church, Joseph <JChurch at chla.usc.edu>wrote:

> Colleagues:****

> ** **

> I am seeing a 7yo girl with hypoplastic left heart syndrome s/p Fontan

> procedure.****

> ** **

> As many of these patients she has developed progressively decreasing IgG.

> Her tetanus, Hib and pneumococcal antibodies remain protective, and she has

> had no serious infections. She also has T-lymphopenia.****

> ** **

> Of particular interest is that her low IgG (currently 155 mg/dL) seems out

> of proportion to her hypoalbuminemia (2.9-3.2 mg/dL).****

> ** **

> Has anyone seen this combination of findings?****

> ** **

> I am leaning toward beginning Ig replacement because of the progressive

> decrease in IgG levels. ****

> ** **

> Thanks for your help.****

> ** **

> Joe Church****

> Children's Hospital Los Angeles****

> ** **

> ** **

> ** **

> ** **

> ****

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,

> confidential

> or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure

> or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,

> please

> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original

> message.

Burcin

"If you want to progress in your life and grow, act not to react"

-Yogi Bhajan