[CIS-PAGID] Lymph Node Biopsy

Dewton Vasconcelos dmvascon at usp.br
Wed Feb 22 12:37:02 EST 2012

Hi Jason, good afternoon

It is really important to rule out lymphomas and leukemias for
hypogammaglobulinemic patients, so a biopsy of the lymphnodes is
fundamental. Fine needle punctures biopsies are usually confounding.
It is also important to rule out possible infectious diseases (EBV, CMV,
mycobacterial and fungal diseases etc.) and even adverse drug reactions,
such as those associated to anticonvulsants (mainly hidantoinates and
carbamazepine), sometimes associated to lymphadenomegaly and
hypogammaglobulinemia and even severe lymphopenia. Other drugs such as
sulfasalazine, D-penicillamine, gold salts, glucocorticoids etc.
On the other hand CVID with sarcoid features are not uncommon.

All the best,

Dewton