[CIS-PAGID] Good's syndrome

Nelson, Robert P Jr ronelson at iupui.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:21:35 EST 2012

Terri,
In the absence of clinical sequelae or chemotherapy-induced neutropenia, we have not used antimicrobial prophylaxis routinely but I worry a lot. In the event of thrush, we have started fluconazole for treatment and then maintained prophylaxis. We have had one patient with CMV retinitis and Good's that responded to ganciclovir, which we then used indefinitely until he died of other causes. If the patient has had clinical herpes/zoster, we would use acyclovir or derivative indefinitely in prophylaxis dosages. If the absolute CD4 count is less than 500/cumm, we use PCP prophylaxis when they are receiving chemo for the thymoma (translated from a suggestion in a chapter in Ochs, Smith, Puck (PID) about DiGeorge by Driscoll/Sullivan). We would use neutropenic gram-neg prophylaxis for Good's when neutropenic after chemo. We would use PCP prophylaxis for Good's in a patient who need steroids.

Interesting question, we need data regarding incidence of opportunistic infections in patients with Good's receiving IVIG unless I've missed something recent in the lit.
Bob

Robert P. Nelson Jr., MD
Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics
Divisions of Hematology/Oncology