[CIS PIDD] Angioedema in CVID

Yeşim Yılmaz Demirdağ dryesimyilmaz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:22:01 EDT 2012

Hi Mike,
I am following a similar case:
He is a 22-year-old man with selective IgA deficiency and environmental
allergies. He started having angioedema symptoms at age 19, he had
peripheral and facial/lip/tongue swellings almost 2-3 times/wk. He was in
the hospital almost every week. On several occasions he had urticarial
lesions as well. Labs were all negative. Symptoms did not respond to
therapeutic dose of H1 and H2 antihistamines, steroids, epi, Kalbitor (he
had allergic reaction to Kalbitor after 3 rd treatment), and high dose
IVIG. He had to quit his job and school and he was in the process of
applying for disability.
Then 1.5 yr ago he started to take Allegra 180 bid, Zyrtec 10 bid, Zantac
300 mg bid, and Singulair 10 mg daily. And surprisingly he did not have any
symptoms for about 6 months when he was on this combination. Moreover, his
symptoms recur within 48 hours when we try to wean one of the H1
antihistamines and when we stop Singulair. He has not been in the hospital
in the past 1.5 yr, he is back to work and school and doing great.
I cannot answer how this combination worked, but it worked. You may want to
try this on your patient. Good luck,
Yesim

Yesim Yilmaz Demirdag, MD
Section of Allergy and Immunology