[CIS PIDD] Angioedema in CVID

Riedl, Marc MRiedl at mednet.ucla.edu
Sun Jul 8 14:43:49 EDT 2012

A couple of thoughts on these CVID/angioedema patients, as we see many individuals with each of these conditions at our center and a few with both. I haven't been able to discern a causative link. I think CVID patients are "allowed" to get other common medical conditions by chance.

1. Following the urticaria literature, it's clear that some idiopathic histamine-mediated angioedema requires high-dose daily antihistamines to achieve effects, I.e. Cetirizine 40 mg qd +/- hydroxizine 50-100 qhs. We're commonly referred patients who are "unresponsive to antihistamines" and simply increasing the dose to these levels improves or suppresses their symptoms.
2. If a non-histamine mediated angioedema is strongly suspected, be aware that the C1INH functional assay done at the major commercial labs (LabCorp, Quest, etc.) is the Quidel assay which has been shown to have up at a 30% "false negative" rate, I.e. the functional C1INH level will be reported as normal when in fact it is low when assayed using the more sensitive and specific Chromogenic C1INH Functional assay. To my knowledge, National Jewish Complement lab is the only lab in the country currently performing the Chromogenic assay. It's worth considering this send-out test to definitively r/o C1INH deficiency, if in fact angioedema patients are truly refractory to high-dose antihistamines and corticosteroids.

Best,

Marc

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy
UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine
10833 Le Conte Ave, 37-131 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1680
Tel 310.206.4345 Fax 310.267.009