[CIS PIDD] 5 years old female patient with probable CAEBV

Mariela Milla marielamilla at yahoo.es
Wed Jul 18 01:56:52 EDT 2012

Dear Dr. Markus

Thanks very much for your e-mail. I
will try to answer the questions in the same order that you made.
In the case, the patient received short course of steroids (just 3 days) during the acute event of second hospitalization, along with antibiotics with good response for the acute process that led to hishospitalization, but later in the intermittent periods between hospitalizations, she continued with hepatosplenomegaly, cervical
micro-lymphadenopathy, lymphocytosis, hypergammaglobulinemia    with no response to acyclovir (received for three months). She
never had a complete remission.  She did not receive other medication such as chemotherapy eg etoposide, cyclosporine A, or rituximab, atg, campath.

NK cytotoxicity study,
sIL2R, is not performed at the hospital.  DNT cells have not been reported in any of the
immunophenotypes but I can get it. Regarding the response to vaccines,
 the patient has not had any adverse reaction, but there is no laboratory
test   to measure response to vaccines in the hospital.

The EBV PCR was made from whole blood.
On the third hospitalization, she was admitted for lower respiratory tract infection (fever, cough and bronchial hyperresponsiveness) and received Ceftriaxone and inhaled bronchodilators with good  response to respiratory episode.
No family history of lymphoproliferation. Fibrinogen: 184 mg/dl (March 2012) and 235 mg/dl (Set 2011) (Normal rate: 200 - 400 mg/dl). IgE normal.

We
do not make the count NKT cells, but was mentioned in the study of Perforin
conducted in January 2012 (period of apparent stable condition but with
hepatosplenomegaly, mild anemia) in Cincinnati Hospital. (Copy
attached). We have no other autoantibodies except those mentioned (ANA, ANCA, ASMA, Anti KLM1, Antithyroid: all negative).

Regarding to cytopenias, the patient  (since June 2011) has had anemia, but over the months has a tendency to leucopenia and
mild thrombocytopenia.
These are some of her blood
count:

  Sept-2011 Dec-2011 March-2012 May-2012
Leucocytes (10^3/uL) 13.7 14.27 9.56 3.97
Hemoglobin (g/dl) 11.8 10.2 11 9.7
MCV (81 fL -2DS:75 fL) 79.2 88.1 77.4 78.5
MCH (27 pg -2DS: 24 pg) 27.6 27.6 25.1 25.4
MCHC (34 g/dl -2DS:31 g/dl) 34.9 31.4 32.4 32.3
Platelets (10^3/uL) 77 140 171 142

RDW-SD (39-46 fL) 57.6 54 52.6 49.8
RDW-CV (11.6-14.6%) 25.3 17.5 19.3 18.7
MPV (7.5-9.5 fL)   10.3 10.4 10.5
IG (10^3/uL)       0.03 (0.8%)

Neutrophils (10^3/uL)-(%) 3.51 (25.6%) 1.61 (11.4%) 2.20 (23%) 1.0 (25.1%)
Lymphocytes (10^3/uL)-(%) 9.46 (69.1%) 12.19 (85.4%) 6.96 (72.8%) 2.75 (69.3%)
Monocytes (10^3/uL)-(%) 0.69 (5%) 0.42 (2.9%) 0.36 (3.8%) 0.15 (3.8%)
Eosinophils (10^3/uL)-(%) 0.01 (0.1%) 0.02 (0.1%) 0.01 (0.1%) 0
Basophils (10^3/uL)-(%) 0.03 (0.2%) 0.03 (0.2%) 0.03 (0.3%) 0.04 (1%)

Do you think it is necesary to make the study of EBV in  T cells or NK cells for CAEBV diagnosis?

I appreciate your comments, suggestions that may help the patient.

Best regards.

Mariela

Mariela Milla MD
Clinical Immunologist and allergist