[CIS PIDD] Low CH50

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Thu Jul 19 17:03:30 EDT 2012

Dear Santosh,
Previous replies have covered most aspects,
A) C4B def, even total ( both C4B alleles missing, 8% of Finns, one of the highest in the world) would not cause, at least in our lab and in properly handled sample, CH50 as low as 15. That suggests either that the shipment/ sample storage has failed or that there is vigorous complement consumption as well.

If both C4A:s missing, occasionally seen this low levels, probably because there is concurrent consumption as well ( lupus, lupus like). Could be seen in HUVS and other states with C1q-autoantibodies, then AH50 and CH50L/LH50 activities very low as well. Usually not a total CP def, like previously commented. In B cell malignancies (CLL, MM, lymphomas, others) low not zero CH50 seen as well.

In periodic fevers (her presenting symptom) not really seen, and recurrent "viral infections" most likely not recurrent intraoral HSV1 (in which HLA homozygosity and total C4B or C4A defs seen together)?

A lupus about to manifest?
B more likely false sample storage and nothing to do with her disease, which in itself could be PFAPA (not all have aphthous stomatitis in it, especially if of North European origin) , HIDS/MKD, TRAPS, cyclic neutropenia or like?

Thus, measure all 3 pathways with meticulous handling of sample,
if one or more low but not zero (only LH50 zero not very helpful, seen in MBL2/MASP2def), try mesuring consumption and C1qAbs or C1inh (activity and level) if clinically indicated, likewise look for B cell malignancy, C4 genotyping indicated if lupus like disease?

... but if normal AH50 and CH50 after all, focus on finding out if PFAPA or autoinflammatory syndrome.

Yours
Mikko Seppänen, Helsinki Finland