[CIS PIDD] Warts and T-cell lymphopenia

Sorensen, Ricardo RSoren at lsuhsc.edu
Sat Aug 11 13:07:18 EDT 2012

Charles, over the years we have seen several patients with warts and
profound, persistent T-cell lymphopenia. Most do pretty well with their
lymphopenia once the warts come under control. One young man developed
the worst, treatment resistant condilomata you can imagine .
Fortunately, Steve Holland accepted him for evaluation and treatment at
the NIH. No molecular defect was identified but he is now doing well for
several years on interferon treatment. I would give Steve Holland a
call.

If your patient has siblings, you may be surprised that some may have
pretty deep T-lymphopenia being otherwise healthy. I have also seen
that in one family. The proband got sick during her pregnancies and
after that went on to live with her lymphopenia and no clinical
problems. Her two healthy brothers had a lymphopenia as severe as hers.
They never had a clinical problem. That may mean that once you get the
warts of your patient under control he may go on to live with his
lymphopenia without further infections.

Good luck,

Ricardo Sorensen