[CIS PIDD] CGD and cutaneous ulcers

Michael H. Land, MD mikelandmd at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 15:37:54 EDT 2012

Dear Sara,

At the UCLA Medical Center where I trained, my mentors Dr. Richard Stiehm and Dr. Robert Roberts have been treating patients with topical GM-CSF for over a decade and have published this.  I am sure they would be approachable and interested in sharing their more recent experience.  One of their papers from 2002 is the following, if you have not already seen it:

De Ugarte DA, Roberts RL, Lerdluedeeporn P, Stiehm ER, Atkinson JB.  Treatment of chronic wounds by local delivery of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in patients with neutrophil dysfunction. Pediatr Surg Int. 2002 Sept; 18(5-6): 517-20.

At Duke University Medical Center we have also been treating some PIDD patients with topical GM-CSF as well, which has helped greatly (particularly in one patient with a peri-rectal ulcer that was very difficult to treat).  It is an expensive therapy, but has been an important tool.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael H.
Land, MD FAAAAI
Assistant
Professor of Pediatrics
Department
of Pediatrics, Division of Allergy & Immunology
Duke University Medical Center, Box 2644
Durham, NC 27710
Phone: 919-862-5354 or for Patient Issues: 919-684-9914
Fax: 919-862-5355
Email: m.land at duke.edu