[CIS PIDD] Angioedema in CVID

Kathleen Sullivan sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 17 12:00:50 EDT 2012

Thanks to all who have provided some much needed ideas on this case.

Although he responds to epi, he clearly does not repond to steroids nor Firazyr. In a way, that is a really puzzling aspect. I would have thought that if he responded to epinephrine that meant the mechanism was allergy. BUT, he has had tons of steroids and a trial of Xolair that was not effective. We didn't give multiple doses of Xolair but there was not even a hint of improvement after one dose.

Regarding the thoughts that this might be SVC, he has not had exactly the right imaging, but a head CT and PET scan were negative. We have not done angiography but his swelling is not symmetric.

Kate