[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] High-dose influenza vaccine for PID patients?

Michael H. Land, MD mikelandmd at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 13:31:18 EST 2012

Hi Ida,
At Duke, several of my CVID patients had similar concerns and I offered the Fluzone as well (last year, 4 of my adult patients received it).  My impression with these patients, given the heterogeneity of the disease, is that while there is a likelihood they may have no response (without an an obvious contraindication) there is still a remote possibility they may have some antibody response.  Even a small bit of protection may be better than nothing.

The only paper I've found is a case discussion by Anne Junker, Francisco Bonilla, and Kate Sullivan in which the recommendation by the group was to vaccinate and provide anti-influenza medications.  Unfortunately, I know of no formal study of flu vaccine response in CVID.

Junker A, Bonilla F, Sullivan K. How to flee the flu. Clinical Immunology 112 (2004) 219-220

Hope this helps.

Michael Land, MD FAAAAI
Department of Allergy & Immunology
Southern California Permanente Medical Group
7060 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92111