[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome with low immunoglobulins

Kirkpatrick, Charles Charles.Kirkpatrick at ucdenver.edu
Fri Nov 9 13:40:14 EST 2012

Evan:

There are a few papers that describe immune globulin abnormalities and, in some cases, impaired antibody responses in patients with chronic candidiasis. Most of these reports were published before the mutations in the AIRE gene were identified, so one cannot be sure that all patients had this syndrome.

Bentur, et al. (J Pediatr 1991; 118:82-860 described 4 cases with chronic lung disease and repeated bacterial infections. All 4 had abnormal IgG subclasses and poor antibody responses.

Kalfa, et al (Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003; 90:250-264) reviewed 9 cases including the cases published by Bentur) who had selective antibody deficiencies.

Mel Burger and I have 3 or 4 cases of patients with chronic candidiasis who during the years of observation developed pan-hypogammaglobulinemia and antibody deficiency. Both of my cases had poly-endocrinopathy and autoimmunity so they may have had the AIRE mutation. The end result was very much like CVID. We never got around to publishing these cases.

Your patient may follow a similar course, so I suggest that you keep track of his Ig and antibody responses.

Charles Kirkpatrick