[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Yellow fever vaccine

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Wed Dec 12 05:59:28 EST 2012

Dear Mike and all, good morning

The Brazilian vaccine is different from the U.S. vaccine. The American YF vaccine is derived from the 17D204 substrain, and the Brazilian is derived from the 17DD substrain.
They are very similar, but 17DD virus is passaged more times in culture, theoretically decreasing a little bit more its possible pathogenicity.
I am referring the links from the Brazilian adverse reactions paper, as well as a very interesting review of adverse reactions to YF vaccines.

Active and passive surveillance of yellow fever vaccine 17D or 17DD-associated serious adverse events: systematic review.
Thomas RE, Lorenzetti DL, Spragins W, Jackson D, Williamson T. Vaccine . 2011 Jun 20;29(28):4544-55.

Serious adverse events associated with yellow fever 17DD vaccine in Brazil : a report of two cases.
Vasconcelos PF, Luna EJ, Galler R, Silva LJ, Coimbra TL, Barros VL, Monath TP, Rodigues SG, Laval C, Costa ZG, Vilela MF, Santos CL, Papaiordanou PM, Alves VA, Andrade LD, Sato HK, Rosa ES, Froguas GB, Lacava E, Almeida LM, Cruz AC, Rocco IM, Santos RT, Oliva OF; Brazilian Yellow Fever Vaccine Evaluation Group. Lancet . 2001 Jul 14;358(9276):91-7.

Dewton Vasconcelos