[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Sibs with low IgG, normal Pneumo Abs

Brynn Wainstein Brynn.Wainstein at SESIAHS.HEALTH.NSW.GOV.AU
Thu May 9 20:14:32 EDT 2013

I am looking after a very similar patient. 5 year old boy with recurrent non-severe upper respiratory infections that could almost be 'normal' but are perhaps a bit frequent. He has shown a progressive drop in his IgG from ~7 g/L over a year ago to ~4 g/L and now ~2.8 g/L. IgM normal, IgA low but measurable. But his vaccine responses to pneumococcal and protein antigens are excellent. He is otherwise well but is thought to have non-celiac 'gluten intolerance' so I have wondered about PLE but his stool alpha1AT is not elevated. Reminds me of the question that was asked recently in Miami whether people feel that there is an IgG level below which we should always treat despite normal vaccine responses in a clinically 'well' child? I would appreciate some advice on that question as I have decided not to treat for the time being while the gastroenterologist works out whether he does or does not have an enteropathy. Also his T, NK and B subsets are completely normal.

Regards,

Dr Brynn Wainstein.
Sydney Children's Hospital

-----Original Message-----
From: Sokolic, Robert (NIH/NHGRI) [E] [mailto:sokolicr at mail.nih.gov]
Sent: Thursday, 9 May 2013 8:26 PM
To: CIS-PIDD
Subject: Re: [cis-pidd] Sibs with low IgG, normal Pneumo Abs

Would also get endoscopic ENT exam for anatomic abnormalities.

Sent from my iThing

On May 8, 2013, at 10:13 PM, "Church, Joseph" <JChurch at chla.usc.edu<mailto:JChurch at chla.usc.edu>> wrote:

Colleagues:

I am following a sister (4yo) and her brother (2½yo) with recurrent URIs and otitis media from <1year of age. They have not experienced pneumonias or other invasive infections. Their growth and development have been normal. Their physical examinations have been normal except for evidence of chronic ear/sinus disease.

Labs on both show normal CBCs etc.

Sister (4+ yo):
IgG repeatedly (from 1yo) below normal range; currently 484 mg/dl
IgA 35, IgM 107
IgE (in past) 17 IU/ml
Tetanus and Hib antibodies protective
Mannose binding lectin normal
Pneumococcal antibodies after earlier Prevnar and then Pneumovax, + for 18 of 23 serotypes tested, stable for > 1 year.

Brother (2 ½ yo):
IgG repeatedly below normal range; currently 367 mg/dL
IgA 49, IgM 55
IgE 17 IU/mL
Tetanus antibody protective; Hib antibody initially protective, now non-protective.
Pneumococcal antibodies after earlier Prevnar and then Pneumovax at 2yo, + 19 of 23 serotypes tested at 1 month, now +16 of 23 at 4 months post pneumovax.

This past winter was difficult for both kids.

WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST:
TREAT AT THIS TIME (if I can get insurance to cover)?
CHECK ANTIBODIES IN 4 MONTHS? IF DECREASED TREAT?
WHAT IF THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT IgG LEVELS AND PNEUMOCOCCAL ANTIBODIES, BUT CONTINUE TO BE SICK?

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks.

Joe Church
Children's Hospital Los Angeles

or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.

The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by:

[http://www.clinimmsoc.org/UserFiles/image/cis-pidd-list-logo_v1.jpg]

E: info at clinimmsoc.org<mailto:info at clinimmsoc.org>

Not a member of CIS? Please visit www.clinimmsoc.org<https://cis.execinc.com/edibo/Signup> to join!

You are currently subscribed to cis-pidd as: sokolicr at mail.nih.gov<mailto:sokolicr at mail.nih.gov>.

E: info at clinimmsoc.org

You are currently subscribed to cis-pidd as: brynn.wainstein at sesiahs.health.nsw.gov.au.
or send a blank email to leave-43323002-183824788.fc11b3c3c7301862fa1a47596a1b173d at lists.clinimmsoc.org

Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, South East Sydney Local Health District and Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick Campus) Confidentiality Notice

This email, and the files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or use this email or any of its attachments in any way. We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This email message has been virus-scanned. Although no computer viruses were detected, Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, South East Sydney Local Health District and Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick Campus) accept no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.

E: info at clinimmsoc.org