[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Asking for advice in AIHA-combined immunodeficiency

Notarangelo, Luigi Luigi.Notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 7 19:56:44 EDT 2014

Dear Dr Gonzalez,

This is likely a co bi ed immunodeficiency. You mentioned markedly increased proportion of CD19+ CD21lo, and perhaps you were thinking that this could represent autoimmune prone B cells. However, use of CD21 alone is not sufficient. It would be important to look also at CD38. These could be transitional B cells (CD19+ CD21lo CD38+) as opposed to the autoimmune prone CD19+ CD21lo CD38lo. A marked increase of transitional B cells associated with severe CD4 lymphopenia might indicate CARD11 mutations.
With regard to treatment, I would not be too worried about rituximab, but MMF is also a possibility, as suggested by Dr Prockop

Best regards

Luigi D Notarangelo

Sent from my iPad

Luigi D. Notarangelo, MD
Jeffrey Modell Chair of Pediatric Immunology Research
Division of Immunology, Boston Children's Hospital
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Karp Research Building, Room 10217
1, Blackfan Circle
Boston, MA 02115
USA