[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] STAT1 GOF treatment options

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Sat Sep 20 15:41:35 EDT 2014

Dear Elena, good afternoon

As you stated, nysatatin is very difficult to use due to the very low compliance of the patients. Use of any medication qid is very difficult.
In the family of the CMC+SLE patient that I told earlier, her two daughters are also affected and, when they were infants, we used nystatin vaginal tablets inside a pacifier with a small hole at the tip. This approach worked very well.

In the other family that I told you, in which we needed to use IV amphotericin, we previously tried to treat in the same way with nystatin, convincing the patient to suck a vaginal tablet like a candy. Despite a significant improvement of the mouth lesions, the patient dropped out of treatment due to the horrible taste of the vaginal tablets, according to his report.

I also agree with previous comments of the possibility of herpesvirus associated lesions and the use of topical steroids (here in Brazil we have triamcinolone in orabase) that is very helpful for mouth sores and aphtae.
Maybe GM-CSF can help, but I am not aware of the real cost-benefit of the use of this drug .

Good luck with your patient.

Best regards,

Dewton