[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] conditioning for RMRP SCID

Nicholas Rider nrider70 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:50:29 EDT 2015

Dear Chris,

We have experience with two CHH patients who underwent matched unrelated transplants with reduced intensity conditioning and did not experience clear conditioning-related toxicity.  One child is still living now several years out from BMT, the other died of complications related to autoimmune hemolytic anemia.  As you might expect, those patients were RMRP 70A>G homozygotes.  That said, I think your question is an excellent one given the reported significant risk of hematologic malignancies in CHH.

I don't think we really know what additional risk a conditioning regimen superimposes upon that baseline risk related to the syndrome.  In your patient with apparent SCID, we certainly don't have enough evidence to suggest that you shouldn't proceed based solely on the biology of the RMRP mutations.

Sincerely,

Nick

Nicholas L. Rider, D.O.
Texas Children's Hospital
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Allergy and Immunology
Baylor College of Medicine
Feigin Center, Suite 330
1102 Bates St
Houston TX, 77040