[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] IVIG/ScIg for Complement deficiency?

Abbott, Jordan AbbottJ at NJHealth.org
Tue Apr 14 13:47:06 EDT 2015

As a fellow, I encountered 2 patients from 2 families with S pneumo meningitis that were found to have genetically confirmed complete C2 deficiency.  I know that Patsy Giclas has confirmed the diagnosis in several other patients throughout the country.  Both of our patients had persistent evidence of inflammation following antibiotic treatment that only resolved with initiation of FFP transfusion (there is no available purified or recombinant C2 replacement).  With resolution of the initial infection, we managed with prophylactic antibiotics and s pneumo vaccination (Prevnar < 2yr and Pneumovax >2yr).  Not sure if it is necessary to do other vaccines beyond the usual schedule; although, ensuring adequate Hib titers makes sense.

We surveyed the AAAAI at the time to see how often the problem was being seen and how they were being treated.  It was pretty clear, as all have surmised, there is no consensus in the US on how to treat these patients.  It was also clear that most members of the AAAAI do not see C2 deficiency, and the minority that have seen it have seen it only rarely.  Of those who actually have managed these patients, the diagnosis was considered after invasive bacterial infection in the majority.  I don't know if it is under diagnosed, but the majority of respondents indicated they do not send complement studies on every patient diagnosed with S pneumo invasive infection.  I have pasted a link to the abstract below:
http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(12)03226-5/abstract

Jordan Abbott, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
National Jewish Health
1400 Jackson St., J333
Denver, CO 80206

From: "<Prescott Atkinson>", "M.D." <PAtkinson at peds.uab.edu<mailto:PAtkinson at peds.uab.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:35 AM
To: CIS-PIDD <cis-pidd at lyris.dundee.net<mailto:cis-pidd at lyris.dundee.net>>
Subject: Re: [cis-pidd] IVIG/ScIg for Complement deficiency?

I don't recall ever treating C2 deficiency with IgG infusions - even the one  kid who had recurrent invasive infections - I'm kind of inclined to believe that most C2-deficient patients don't have recurrent infections (that's why we don't see them) and the exceptional patients who do have another contributing problem like (yes, Troy!) MBL deficiency....

Prescott

 Sent from my iPhone