[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] IgA deficiency and Probiotics

Yu, Karl [BSD] - PED kyu at peds.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 17 04:23:57 EDT 2015

We've seen a few cases of bacteremia associated with Lactobacillus rhamnosus -- and every time associated with a patient who has recently started probiotic therapy on their own.

A commonality that I've seen is that these are usually patients with some propensity for GI dysfunction (e.g., cystic fibrosis, inflammatory bowel disease, short gut syndrome, etc.), and with a standing central line, in for administration of TPN.  I don't think there is much known in the literature withlarger samples sizes, but it would stand to reason that a leaky gut may predispose to bacteremia with a high enough bacterial load -- which most people could clear with no issue -- except if one has intravascular plastic.

No cases in our primary immunodeficient patients -- but we (as a section) do not usually recommend probiotics in immunodeficient patients.

I hope this helps ...

    - K

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., FAAP
Clinical Instructor and Research Fellow, Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Comer Children's Hospital  |  University of Chicago
5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 6054, Chicago, IL 60637
tel  773.702.9281   |   fax  773.702.1196   |   pager  773.702.6800 @ 3285