[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CVID and diarrhoea

Bodo Grimbacher bodo.grimbacher at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Thu May 21 13:09:21 EDT 2015

Dear Carla,
We have recently seen a few of these patients in London and in Freiburg.
Some of them only get better on parental nutrition.
To me, the effect of oral IgG or ribavirin is limited but should be tried as
you often stand with the back to the wall.
Fortunately, viral shedding and PCR positivity does not necessarily predict
immune-pathology from the virus.
Also horizontal transmission on the ward or even to household members seem
limited.
Interestingly, adding a bit of corticosteroids may improve immune pathology.

Is the leukopenia part of his CVID (preexisting) or does he loose
lymphocytes via the gut, i.e. It started with the diarrhoea??
Best,
Bodo

Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. B. Grimbacher

Scientific-Director