[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CGD transplant question

David Buchbinder dbuchbinder at CHOC.ORG
Sun Jun 28 01:22:44 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I have a new 3 year old young man (previously healthy) that came in with pneumonia.  His chest CT demonstrated bilateral airspace disease and consolidation. He also has bilateral cystic changes in both changes which were felt to be related to his necrotizing pneumonia.  His bronchoalveolar lavage grew out aspergillus fumigatus and b. cepacia.  A DHR assay confirmed a diagnosis of CGD.  His genetics are pending given the family history of consanguinity.

He is clinically improving on a variety of antimicrobial agents (levaquin, meropenem, and voriconazole).  He is now afebrile with inflammatory markers that are normalizing.  He came in with respiratory distress and need for supplemental oxygen and these issues have also improved remarkably.  We are also working on his nutrition since this was also a prominent issue.

He does have a matched sibling.  I was considering transplant for this kid in the future.  Any words of wisdom given the burden of lung disease?   I was considering Dr. Grungor's approach, but the busulfan use worried me.  Other reduced toxicity approaches may also be possible (Campath and low dose TBI as recently published by Dr. Kapoor's group).  Would a entirely different approach be better (? gene therapy).

Thanks as always...

Dave

CHOCLX-MGSM made the following annotations
Sat Jun 27 2015 22:22:47

This email message and any files transmitted are sent with confidentiality in mind and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify Children's Hospital of Orange County.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Children's Hospital of Orange County. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.