[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Persistently elevated anti-VCA (EBV) IgM

Juan Carlos Aldave Becerra jucapul_84 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:10:28 EDT 2015

Dear professors,
I would appreciate your expert opinions regarding the following case.Today I evaluated a 8 year-old boy with elevated anti-VCA (EBV) IgM lasting almost 2 years.
I summarize his clinical history:- Age: 8 years.- No history of consanguinity.- No severe infections, no candidiasis, no abscesses.- October 2013: fever, lymphadenopathies, splenomegaly and leukocytosis with lymphocytosis. The clinical features resolved completely over 2 weeks without any complication or sequelae. At that time the only positive diagnostic result was an elevated anti-VCA IgM, which persists high for almost 2 years, as shown below:

  16-Oct-13
  11-Mar-14
  13-Jun-14
  14-Jul-14
  13-Oct-14
  29-Jan-15

  Early Antigen Antibody
  Negative
  Negative
  Negative
  Negative
  127.973
  100.801

  Anti-VCA IgM
  248.7
  225.6
  141.727
  106.039
  112.309
  140.059

  Anti-VCA IgG
  255.8
  221.096
  212.37
  121.512
  199.94
  224.182

  Anti-EBNA IgG
  Negative
  290.723
  268.678
  217.786
  195.96
  307.407

- EBV-PCR has not been performed (not available).- IgG, IgA, IgM, liver function tests, B2-microglobulin: within normal values.- Negative IgM to CMV and rubella.- Positive IgG to CMV and rubella.- WBC=10,940; lymphocytes=5,650; neutrophils=4,240; eosinophils=480; CD3+ cells=4,256; CD4=1,713; CD8=2,155; CD19=500/uL.- Inverted CD4:CD8 ratio.- Mild eosinophilia (between 480 and 1280 cells/uL).
The patient looks healthy, the mother denies any current symptom.
Please, I would appreciate your expert insights. My question is if the patient's serologic status can be "normal" or I should look for PIDs with susceptibility to EBV.
Thank you very much.
With my best regards,
Juan

Juan Carlos Aldave, MDAllergy and Clinical ImmunologyEdgardo Rebagliati Martins National HospitalLima, Peru

or send a blank email to leave-2948889-96396833.5a9591ccd1e327fe6bc4d1543298c482 at lyris.dundee.net