[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] adult patient with auto-immunity and recurrent airway infections

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Oct 20 05:32:14 EDT 2015

A 63-year-old woman who has been diagnosed with Sjögren syndrome and
multiple sclerosis was referred to me because of recurrent upper and
lower airway infections since 10 years, chronic cough, and
bronchiectasis with the question whether she has immunodeficiency. She
has not been using any immunosuppressive medication for many years, nor
has she ever been treated with IVIG because of her MS.
Her lab shows auto-antibodies, hypergammaglobulinemia with IgG2
deficiency, and partial polysaccharide antibody deficiency (details in
the attachment, Ig's in g/l).
Should we consider her to be a patient with primarily auto-immune
disease, or a patient with a form of primary immunodeficiency, and if
so, which?
Your suggestions are welcome!
Esther de Vries, 's-Hertogenbosch/Tilburg, the Netherlands