[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Lung transplantation in CVID

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Mar 4 04:55:11 EST 2016

Dear Jack,

We had lung transplanted one female who later was diagnosed with CTLA4 deficiency.
She lived one more year with good QoL, but the lung disease returned and she died 12 mos post Tx despite a lot of IVIG replacement.
Do you know the genetics of your patient (CTLA4, LRBA, NFkappaB etc)?
But I agree there are a handful of other CVID cases being lung transplanted with not much success.
However, we have to consider that the 5yr survival of any lung transplant for any reason is only around 50%, depending on the center of course.

Have you tried abatacept in your patient ?

Have you considered to perform a BMT to treat the immune dysregualtion and therefore stabilise the lungs?
We did that in a patient from London an she is now 10 years post BMT and I have to confess that her lung still declines, but at a MUCH slower rate than with her initial immune system.
(she is the case in our series who actually was off IgG for some time as the new immune system started to produce some Ig but of not high quality, so she had infections and we put her bcd on IgG replacement).

How about a two-tiered approach?
First BMT and second LTX?

Hope this helps,
Best, Bodo