[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Transplant for Hyper-IgM Syndrome

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Sep 20 20:17:33 EDT 2016

Richard:

I am sure there are individuals with more experience than me with this disorder.  However, after having a couple of kids die while the family contemplated the procedure or were holding out for a 10/10 match when ‘only’ a 9/10 was available, I tend to be a bit more aggressive than in the past.

My answer to your question is “transplant when appropriate.”

-       Assume that a transplant will be necessary at some point.

-       Earlier is usually better.

-       Prior to the onset of an opportunistic process is way better.

-       Matched sibling donor is better than MUD is better than haplo.

I think X-Hyper IgM allows for some deliberation as you can usually buy time with IGSC and TMP-SMX.  However, I don’t think it is too early to type the family and begin the donor search.

Joe Church
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles